As part of Shannon’s Bridge’s commitment to our community’s health and safety we are monitoring the situation closely and following all the relevant advice from government agencies and global organisations.
We urge our lovely volunteers and supporters to keep updated with reliable information (links below), not to panic and as always, use your own common sense. By nature of our work, we volunteer mostly with people who are classed as ‘vulnerable’ but we cannot allow sensible ‘social distancing’ to become emotional isolation or worse, neglect.
There are still lots of ways we can support each other through this.
See our Social Connection ideas page
Key measures supported by Shannon’s Bridge
1. As usual do not volunteer directly with a person or family if you are unwell. This is not new – just sensible community care!
2. Practice good personal hygiene by washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with greater than 75% alcohol.
3. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
4. If someone that you are in ‘close contact’ with have returned from overseas, then please do not visit anyone classed as vulnerable for 14 days from the date you left that country
5. If you have returned from international travel you must self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.
6. If you are unwell with a fever or a combination of any of the symptoms (cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath), check out the online symptom checker or call the dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398 for advice. This number is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
7. Think about elderly friends, neighbours, and people with a disability in your community and how you can support them. Calling them to check they are OK can make all the difference and you can deliver essential supplies to them whilst still maintaining social distancing.
8. As a result of the announcement on 22/03/20, we have had to close the Creswick End of Life Care Hub for events and are moving to try to provide more resources and training to the local community online or over the phone where possible.
Thank you to everyone for looking out for each other
and practicing compassion and kindness as often as hand hygiene
The Directors of Shannon’s Bridge
More than 15 minutes face-to-face OR sharing of a closed space (small room) for more than two hours with a confirmed case.
Someone who has been tested by their doctor and informed they have the virus. Most people (>80%) will have a very mild self-limiting viral illness, however the concern is for elderly and people with other health conditions who might be at risk of more severe symptoms.
The Victorian Chief Medical Officer has instructed that no static gatherings of more than 500 people and no non-essential indoor gatherings of greater than 100 people. Secondary to this, the announcement on 22/03/20 directs us to allow for4 square meters of space for each person for an indoor gathering (meaning if you have a 100 m square room you can have 25 people in it). We also still need to maintain 1.5m distance from each other. These recommendations are likely to keep changing, so check out the links below for the most recent advice.
People who are more likely to experience severe symptoms if they contract the virus. This includes people over 65 years, people with chronic health conditions (especially cardiac or lung conditions) and people with reduced immunity due to illness or medication.
Try to avoid buying into the hysteria in newspapers or online forums and keep informed with reliable and current information that is relevant to you. Try to switch the news off and limit the time spent on reading headlines on your phone - it can make you more anxious and unfortunately the information is not always reliable.
About coronavirus (COVID-19) – Department of Health and Human Services Victoria
Coronavirus (COVID-19) health alert – Australian Government Department of Health
If you have questions or concerns, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to answer them